Exemptions for Vehicles in Delaware
In the state of Delaware, residents are required to have their vehicle pass an emissions test before the vehicle can be registered. In some cases though, vehicles will be exempt from emissions testing, do you know if your vehicle is exempt? This is the criteria that needs to be met for your vehicle to be exempt:
- Vehicle was manufactured within the past five years
- Vehicle weighs less than 10,000 pounds
- Vehicle is being titled in the state for the first time
If your vehicle meets these requirements you are exempt for testing, however, you can be ordered by law enforcement to have your vehicle perform an emissions test, if they deem it necessary.
If your vehicle meets the requirements, all you need to do to register your vehicle is your VIN number when you go to register the vehicle.
Some vehicles may be required to undergo safety inspections, but not emissions testing. Here is the criteria that needs to be met:
- Vehicle that was manufactured in 1968 or older
- Diesel vehicles that were manufactured in 1997 or older
- Any type of motorcycle
- Vehicles that have been manufactured in the last five years