Nevada Emissions

In Nevada emissions inspections are required for every annual renewal as well as many original vehicle registrations. When you receive your renewal notice in the mail, it is likely that it will indicate if you are required to have the test completed. Each inspection station in the state is privately owned and decentralized.

In order to operate your vehicle on public streets, you must have insurance and a valid registration or a movement permit. If you find that your registration is expired, it is possible to obtain a movement permit at the DMV when you present the certificate of registration or other proof of ownership. However, it is possible that you will be charged a late fee and cited by law enforcement if you operate your vehicle when your registration is expired.

When you are ready to take your vehicle for an emissions test, do not disconnect the battery of your 1996 or newer vehicle for any reason. If so, your vehicle will not pass the test and will be rejected. It is important that you drive your vehicle under a variety of conditions for about a week before the onboard diagnostic system will be able to run the tests.

What vehicles require tests?

There are many vehicles that require tests in the state of Nevada. Passenger cars, trucks, RVs and motorhomes should be tested if they fall into the following categories:

  • If they are located in urban areas of Clark County or Washoe County
  • If they are gasoline powered
  • If they are diesel powered, model year 1968 or newer, and less than 14,000 pounds
  • If they are new vehicles which have reached the time for their third registration. The first and second registrations are exempt as are hybrids for the first five years.


You will need to have a valid Nevada test in order to receive an original registration and for most renewals. These tests are valid for 90 days and used car dealers are required to issue a valid emissions test when they sell a vehicle. When you buy a vehicle from a private party, it is your responsibility to receive the test.

Extent vehicles

There are some circumstances when vehicles are exempt from testing:

  • If it is a new vehicle within their first and second registration
  • If you own a hybrid electric vehicle less than five model years old
  • If it is older than 1967
  • If it is a motorcycle or moped
  • If it is based in remote areas of Clark and Washoe County or any other county in Nevada
  • If you own an alternative fuel vehicle
  • If you are transferring ownership and a test has been conducted within 90 days, if it is between husband and wife, or if it is between companies who leased vehicles
  • It has been registered as a classic vehicle and is driven less than 5000 miles per year
  • If is registered as a replica vehicle


You will know immediately if you pass the test and will receive a vehicle inspection report immediately. After you have received this report you are then allowed to renew your registration at participating stations through the DMV.