As of today, Alabama does not have any laws set into place for emissions testing on vehicles. This can certainly change in the coming years, and when it does it usually happens quickly. There is a large number of groups in Alabama that are concerned about the planet and the quality of air we breathe. They have been fighting to have emissions laws set into place, but so far no luck. These groups offer free testing from time to time, if you reside in Alabama, keep a lookout for these special events, they will test your car for free.
If you would like to have your car tested when the event isn’t taking place, there is a number of facilities that will test your vehicles emissions for you in Alabama, check your local listings. Alabama does currently offer rewards for driving a vehicle that passes emissions testing. You can be rewarded with tax breaks and special auto insurance discounts.
If you live in Alabama and are concerned about the low air quality, there are some things you can do to protect yourself and your family. Look for your local news channel to let you know when there is a heavy air pollution alert. During this alert, you can do the following:
- Stay indoors as much as you can
- Carpool to work and school
- Telecommute if at all possible
- Keep your thermostat turned up or down, depending on the season, this helps to conserve energy
- Ride on public transportation
- Ride a bike or walk
- Choose the coolest time of the day to put gas in your car
- Avoid using anything that requires fuel to power it
- Try to get all shopping done at one time
If you are concerned about the air quality in Alabama, why not take a stand with your fellow residents?