Alaska – General Emissions Information

Last updated on September 22nd, 2023

Alaska General Emissions Information

Alaska General Emissions Information

The State of Alaska requires emissions testing or I/M inspections for all vehicles. They are required for most new registrations as well as annual renewals. The emission test or I/M inspection are required to be completed every two years on existing vehicles.

Which Vehicles are required to have an Emissions Test

There are three reasons that a car, truck, motor home, or recreational vehicle requires an emission test:

  1. If it is newer than 1968 and registered in one of the following counties: Fort Richardson, Elmendorf AFB, Indian, Chugiak, Eagle River, Girdwood, and Eklutna or within the Municipality of Anchorage.
  2. If it is newer than 1975 and is registered in one of the following counties: Fairbanks North Star Borough, Eielson AFB, Fort Wainwright, Salcha and the North Pole
  3. It runs on diesel fuel and duel-fuel

How long are certificates valid?

Certificates that are issued by an I/M or an emission inspector are valid for 90 days. You will need to have a valid test in order to reinstate a registration that has been suspended and will also need to complete the original vehicle registration or registration renewal process. Keep in mind that all used car dealers are required to provide a valid emissions test for any vehicle that is sole. However, it is the buyer’s responsibility to have one completed if they purchase it through an individual.

Are there any exemptions:

There are some exemptions to these rules if they fall into the following categories:

  1. Younger than 4 years old
  2. Is considered a motorcycle or a motor scooter
  3. Weighs more than 12,000 pounds
  4. Is a trailer, snowmobile or an ATV

Testing Locations

You can have your vehicle tested at an authorized I/M Inspection facility that is licensed by the state. Signs are supplied by the DMV and should be displayed where you can see them. Test standards, as well as the maximum fees, should also be displayed at the station as well. Some inspection sites can also register your vehicle as well.


There is a maximum fee that has been set by the DMV, however, this amount varies depending on the vehicle that you drive, the type of fuel that is used, as well as the county. There is an administrative fee of $2 that is applied to residential vehicles and $1 for commercial vehicles

What if my vehicle fails?

If you do find that your vehicle has failed the test, you will be required to have it repaired and retested. However, there may be some waivers that apply to you. Below are the waivers that have been set up by the state by the DMV. You must have this approved prior to registration:

  • Seasonal Waiver: If you will be driving in Anchorage between April 1 and October 31
  • Outside use waiver: you have an Anchorage address, but you do not reside there
  • Repair Cost Minimums Waiver: If you have purchased $450 in certain parts to help you pass the emissions test and it still fails the test
  • Parts on order waiver: Parts have been ordered for the repair, but have not arrived yet.
Filed under: Alaska, Articles, State Emissions Testing

No comment yet, add your voice below!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comment *
Name *
Email *