Emissions tests for vehicles in Nevada are required by law. You will need to have your vehicle pass this test every year, typically. The notice you receive in the mail will tell you if your vehicle is due for testing. Cars, trucks, RV’s and motor homes will need testing if:
- They are based in the urban area of Clark or Washoe County
- Gasoline powered, no matter their weight or size
- Diesel powered, and have a gross vehicle weight rating up to 14,000 pounds
- 1968 model year or newer
- New vehicles that are on their third registration. Hybrids are exempt from testing for five years, and the first and second years are exempt for all other new vehicles.
Testing locations vary, and are privately owned. Because of this the fee for testing will vary based on the location you choose. Emissions tests stay valid for 90 days.
- New motor vehicles on their first and second registration.
- New hybrid-electric vehicles for the first 5 model years.
- 1967 or older.
- Motorcycle or moped.
- Vehicles based in remote areas of Clark and Washoe counties and all other Nevada counties (see Testing Areas or call us).
- Alternative fuel vehicles.
- Diesel vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 14,001 pounds or greater.
- Transfer of ownership/registration if the last test was conducted within 90 days before the transfer.
- Transfer of ownership/registration between husband and wife.
- Transfer of ownership/registration between companies whose principal business is leasing vehicles if there is no change in the lessee or operator of the vehicle.
- Vehicles registered as a Classic Rod, Classic Vehicle or Old Timer and driven 5,000 miles or less per year.
- Vehicles registered as a Replica Vehicle.